K9s For Warriors is the nation’s largest provider of service dogs to military veterans suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress, Traumatic Brain Injury and/or Military Sexual Trauma. Our program is unique, comprehensive, and proven thanks to research by Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine. We provide each warrior with a service canine, equipment, training, certification, seminars, legal instruction, vet care, housing, home cooked meals, unconditional love and listening, and a life-time of wrap-around services. In essence, we don’t just give each of our warriors a service dog, we give them the K9s Family.
The K9s program is 100% free for the veteran. We have our warriors’ backs.
Accomplishments & History
K9s For Warriors was able to raise more than $13 million in 2018, which allowed us to pair 122 Warriors with service dogs. That’s 244 lives saved because of each person’s contribution! With your support, at the end of 2018 we surpassed 500 warrior graduates. To reach this incredible goal our proud supporters hosted 165 community events and contributed to K9s through events such as our Veterans Day telethon, raising $372,000 in one day. In addition, more than 799 supporters pledged their continued support through our Guard Dog program, which addresses the veteran suicide issue that plagues our country. Our Guard Dogs are donating $22 or more per month to sustain the life-saving programs provided by K9s For Warriors.
- Re-certification: 90% of graduates re-certify their dog’s training on a regular basis.
- Dogs Rescued: Over 1,000 dogs have been rescued since 2011.
- Volunteers: In 2018, our volunteers worked 308,872 hours. Volunteers have also opened their homes to raise 33 puppies, and 18 dogs were acquired through the prison program.
- Community Events: 165 community events were held across the United States in 2018.
- 2011-2019 Branches Served:
- Army: 398
- Coast Guard: 5
- Marine Corps: 83
- Air Force: 45
- Navy: 67
- 2020 recieved the Florida Impact Award from Leadership Florida
- 2020 Platinum Seal of Transparency from GuideStar
- 2019 named as a top charity by the Better Business Bureau Giving Alliance
- 2019 recognized as a Bold City Best, a Jacksonville community award
- 2019 MarCom Award in four categories:
- Honorable Mention - Puppy Raiser’s Reference Manual (Print Media|Employee Publication|Manu
- Platinum Award - UNLEASH: A Capital Campaign (Print Media|Brochure|Nonprofit)
- Gold Award - RED Friday T-Shirt, (Print Media|Design|T-Shirt
- Honorable Mention - Shed Your Birthday Light on the Darkness of Suicide (Digital Media|Web Element|Blog Single Post)
- 2019 Charity Navigator 4-star award
- 2019 Certified Transparent Seal by Excellence in Giving
- 2019 & 2018 Seal of Transparency from Excellence in Giving, Nonprofit Analytics
- 2018 Pearls of Leadership EVE Award for K9s For Warriors Founder, Shari Duval
- 2017 accredited by The Patriots Initiative
- 2017 winner of The Telly Awards for our PSA "Still There" produced by TigerLily Media
- 2016 Outstanding Veteran Employer by VetJob Awards
- 2015 Jacksonville Business Journal BizTech Award for Best Use of Social Media
- GuideStar Platinum Seal of Transparency
- 2016 Florida Association of Nonprofits Salute to Veterans Award
- Voted by Jacksonville Magazine FOLIO for best nonprofit volunteer participation 2012, 2013
- Great Non Profits Award 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015