One of the best things to experience about a dog is what they are like as a puppy! You, too, can enjoy this experience as a Puppy Raiser for K9s For Warriors. You will have the opportunity to raise a puppy from as young as 8 weeks of age to 12 months. During this time, K9s For Warriors will provide everything for the puppy: food, leash, crate, training classes, and cover puppy medical expenses.
Each Puppy Raiser plays a vital role in the development of a future service dog, and a unique opportunity for volunteers to assist with our very important mission. Puppy Raisers must be at least 18 years old and are required to adhere to the following requirements:
- MUST live within 50 miles of Camp K9 (Ponte Vedra, Florida)
- MUST have regular access to a car
- MUST attend monthly obedience classes with our K9 Trainers
- Provide a safe environment for a puppy under 1 year of age
- Teach the puppy manners and basic obedience
- Provide the puppy with age-appropriate socialization opportunities such as public outings
- Supervise the puppy throughout the day
- Agree to return the puppy upon request
Every service dog starts out as a puppy that needs lots of love and care.
With guidance and proper training each puppy will grow into an elite servce dog for a veteran in need.
Volunteer puppy raising is an incredible way to help give our military veterans a new leash on life.